How to ensure a stress-free telecoms and IT relocation
You’re relocating your business to a new premises – exciting news, right? But what about your telecoms and IT, will an office move mean downtime for your website and a change to your office telephone number? Will panic ensue?
It’s a typical assumption that relocating your business will be, at the very least, stressful and result in downtime for your business, as a worst-case scenario. As telecoms relocation experts, we have discussed the fool-proof ways to ensure that your office move goes without a hitch and that your telecoms and IT are not negatively affected.
Before you proceed with your office move, there are certain questions that you need to ask yourself (and no, it’s not ‘Oh Goodness, what on earth was I thinking moving offices?!’). Start off by ensuring that you can answer these four key questions:
- Is now the right time to upgrade your business phone system?
- Is your new office serviced?
- Has everyone been informed, including your current telecoms provider?
- Who is managing the telecoms move?
Once you have clear answers to each of those questions you have a solid base to start your office move.
From there, you have a number of additional factors to consider. For example, you’ll have telecoms equipment, such as your business phone system, in your current office setup and depending on whether you own this or lease it, you need to decide whether or not to take it with you. Plus, you need to decide whether your upcoming office move is a good time to upgrade your telecoms or potentially even switch providers.
Relocating your telecoms and IT means changing your current setup, so we do recommend that you look into the possibility of moving to an upgraded system. This will save both time and hassle and you’ll have a newer, better system to coincide with next chapter of your business.
With over 20 years’ experience in helping businesses to relocate their telecoms and IT, we’ve put together our top 10 recommendations for a stress-free telecoms and IT relocation:
- Leave yourself enough time. You will mostly likely require a new line to be installed at your new premises and these lines take time to install. On average, there is a wait of 10 working days. However, if you require a leased line these can take up to two months.
- Check the broadband availability in the area of your new office. Most businesses rely on Fibre broadband and so it’s important to check that Fibre is available. Any telecoms provider will be able to do this for you, free of charge.
- Speak to your provider about your office number. It’s usually the case that businesses will need to keep their existing telephone number. After all, this number will be on all of your marketing collateral, from business cards, to fleet, to adverts. You will need to discuss this with the telecoms provider that you choose for your relocation. If you’re moving to an area on a different exchange, they may need to look at options such as diverts.
- Do a cost analysis. It’s often the case that moving your business telephone system can be as expensive as replacing it with a new one.
At Network Telecom we are telecoms relocation specialists. If you’re looking to move offices anywhere in the UK, we can offer anything from sound advice on your move to a full office relocation package that will involve full setup and testing of your equipment in your new office to ensure minimal downtime. If you’d like to discuss your telecoms relocation, please fill in this form and one of our telecoms relocation specialists will call you back. Alternatively, you can call our team on 0333 3603 723.